Sunday 27 March 2011

Networking with other EFL Teaching Professionals

I was happy to volunteer to attend the inter-ELTA meeting, representing the Stuttgart association (ELTAS), on Saturday. In Hamburg, a city I hadn’t visited before. So, despite the 11 hour round trip by train, I was very excited at the prospect of getting a whiff of sea air.

In fact, the train journey up north proved very fruitful – I managed to concentrate for the most part, on a number of outstanding jobs (lesson planning, report writing etc). Completely undisturbed. It was very satisfying. A good lesson for future reference: get myself tied down somewhere with no option for escape and simply knuckle down. Hum. If only it were always so simple….

Anyway, I’d planned on exploring a little on Friday evening once I’d checked into the hotel. That plan went by-the-by: it was just too cold and wet and dark. A hot meal and early night seemed a much better option. Especially after all my hard work on the train. This proved to be a good decision. The next day was bright and sunny. Up and breakfasted in good time, I used the opportunity to walk down to the nearest bit of water. As luck would have it, the stranger I asked for directions turned out to be a sea-faring local (are there any other kind of local in Hamburg?) who accompanied me down to the outlook where he explained about the container ships we could see in the harbour. All very interesting. I was touched by his willingness (indeed, eagerness) to talk with me. An excellent start to the day. And the smell of the sea….. ahhhhh. How I miss that. It really lifted my spirits.

Arriving at the meeting place, I was greeted by one of my online Xing contacts, Emma! How cool is it to meet a virtual contact in the flesh. (See current blog post in Fabulous Frauen). Then I was greeted by 2 familiar faces from the BESIG conference in Bielefeld – John and Wolfgang. We three sat together and enjoyed some typical British-humour interactions Smile It’s always nice to have some light-hearted moments during serious meetings.

The meeting itself was primarily about sharing info on how the different associations manage their businesses. A very interesting insight into what other teachers do. A side-effect was the networking among we participants, always an invaluable activity, indeed an essential part of any business. We were able to conclude the day with an agreement to set up a common platform for each association to post on their current activities and to share info useful to the inter-ELTA group as a whole. How exciting is that to be part of something in its infancy. I, for one, am very much looking forward to seeing how the inter-ELTA wiki develops.

In the meantime, I have to figure when and how to get back to visit Hamburg properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment