Tuesday 5 April 2011

Something good for my community and me

Self-development is on my mind at the moment – it’s in my thoughts most days. Today it’s particularly occupying me. I got up extra early this morning (something I avoid most times) in order to participate in a special activity at my kids’ school. As one of 6 parents who have donated many hours over the last year or so, I’m happy and proud to being doing something positive and constructive in the community. The project is called “f.ü.r.” – which stands for Friends Practise Respect (and consideration for others). Our aim is to raise awareness among school kids about different types of violence (hitting, bullying, wounding with words, damaging our surroundings, excluding people). We focus on how to stop, reduce and avoid violence in school.

I can’t take credit for altruistically volunteering to do good. My motivation was initially to do something interesting from which I would personally benefit. I saw an opportunity to apply and widen my trainer skills whilst also practising and improving my German. Violence is something I find abhorrent, even more so when it’s practised on children by children. So part of me was also drawn to wanting to contribute to doing something about it.

Today was the 6th time we’d facilitated the process in a classroom. Once again, we were surprised by how different our experience was. The very first time, we were all nervous, pre-occupied with remembering our lines, getting all the parts in the right order, managing our props. I have to admit that my part was much less than the others – I’ve learned only 2 lines off by heart because of my lack of German fluency – and that I was less nervous. Also less engaged, if I’m honest.

Since that first performance, we’ve come a long way. Last week was probably the best “show” so far. We all found our flow; I finally clicked with my role (I often need extra time to internalise material designed by someone else) and we went for our habitual post-performance coffee full of energy and positivity. We – 4 women, 2 men – have gelled into a close-knit “f.ü.r.-team”. And I’m proud of having overcome my “Presenting in German” inhibitions; indeed, I can provide a special twist to our message, as a foreigner who could have suffered exclusion, I’m fully accepted in my team and seemingly from all the children in each classroom. Truly a wonderful feeling. Which confirms my ongoing self-development. I have tangible evidence of how far I’ve come since a newly arrived English woman in a country where I couldn’t string a sentence together 15 years ago.

Another thing I’ve learned is that it’s possible to be active in my community alongside a busy work and home schedule. There are evenings when we have a meeting scheduled when I really wish I hadn’t joined up. Then we’re altogether and I’m glad to know these people. We have achieved no mean feat – it does me good to see an idea become reality. Now we’re ready to move to the next level of our project and present violence prevention to older classes. Bring it on! How fab that I can benefit while helping groups of children develop their own sense of right and wrong. It’s a win-win situation which costs me a little less sleep occasionally and a few evenings away from the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment