Saturday 9 April 2011

One poor lesson does not a poor teacher make

After Thursday’s shenanigans with my kids, I went on to have 2 lessons – 2 mediocre lessons. Fortunately, the first was just an hour, one-to-one. We spontaneously took ourselves off to a café and sat outside in the sun. My student felt it was the best English lesson she’d ever had. I suspect her feeling had much more to do with the sunshine than the actual lesson.

The second, much longer with 14 young students, wasn’t so successful. Despite half an hour outside in the sun. We started off well – the opening of the lesson which I had planned. Things started to deteriorate when I had “a bright idea” which I hadn’t planned or thought through. Often, my bright ideas actually work out which is why I continue to give into such urges. However, this one really didn’t work and my students began to loose interest. A room full of young people on a sunny day who’ve already been in a classroom since 8am and know they’ve still got a number of hours till home time, is not a good place to be if you’re slightly off your game.

Now I’m writing this from a distance, things look less dire. As I would say to any colleague, we all have bad days. It was a shame that this was the last meeting of the semester. I shan’t see the group again until December. Time to get it right by then.

The other factor which has left me feeling less than satisfied with the situation is “grading”. This group is one of the few where I have to grade the participants’ oral performance. A tricky task at any time, especially when I feel so many of them have a brilliant command of the language (better than many native-speakers back in parts of the UK). Someone is often disappointed and questions the grade – questions me. Why did I give them that grade? I don’t know about you dear reader, but I would never have dreamt of questioning my tutor as to the grade I was given. Firstly, s/he knew what they doing (presumably), had given the mark due thought and consideration. Secondly, I would be too busy getting on with something else by then!

Perhaps I’m too far removed from the stress of getting a degree today. Life moves on and other things take precedence. To be fretting over a couple of grade points seems such a mis-use of precious energy. But then, someone else might point out that worrying about one less-than-brilliant lesson is an equally poor use of energy. We’re all in different places at different times. I guess as long as we can look back and review a situation objectively and learn from it, then it was worth it. That’s what development’s all about, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment